Monday, January 19, 2009

Change, Change, Change

What better way to begin the year than with Jesus' first public preaching found in this weeks Lectionary reading in Mark 1:15, Time's up, God's kingdom is here. Change your life and believe the Message. (from The Message by Eugene Peterson) The Greek word translated change your life, literally means to change your mind or turn around. It can sound like a one time decision. You are going the wrong way, make a U Turn and live happily ever after. However, as we read through the Gospels, we quickly see that the disciples kept veering of in the wrong direction and again and again and had to be brought back to the right way by Jesus. The Old Testament Lectionary Lesson comes from the Book of Jonah, which is a whale of a turn around. (Pardon the pun.) Yet, even after being spit up on the shore by the big fish, Jonah's path with God is still not easy, smooth or direct. What has been your experience? Has your Christian walk been a quick turnaround and steady climb, or has it been more like the disciples and Jonah, full of ups and downs and turns around?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The u-turn in my life happened when I finally found the discipline for daily prayer. To center myself I begin with gratitude for all my blessings and then ask for forgiveness through God's grace. Works and works well for me. R

Marcus said...

While I'm far from reaching the point I strive for in my faith, I have come to appreciate that we all are creatures of habit, and instantaneous changes far too often dissolve. Instead, I focus on building a constant relationship, one not marked simply by the peaks and the valleys, but by the routine plateaus that make up the majority of our lives. That comes through daily prayer, but even more, daily recognition of God's grace. While I am not there yet, it is what I strive for.